Monday, May 18, 2009

Aloha, Grandma Sophie

Last week was not a very good week for me.  But my illness pales in comparison to the loss of my Grandma Sophie.  It's not looking like such a good year for our family.  Just last month we said Aloha to Uncle Dickie, her brother.

Here's a photo of Grandma Sophie as I remember her for most of my life.

Growing up, what I remembered about Grandma Sophie was her always asking her grandchildren for her honi (her kiss) to say hello.  Then, my next memory would be that her house was known for having "goodies" of all sorts.  Whether it was some sort of candy (hard or soft), cookie, pastry, nut, or even a drink of your choice (my favorite was the canned Lipton Iced Tea), Grandma was sure to have it.  


As I got older, perhaps in the teens, one thing I noticed was Grandma's use of the Hawaiian language whenever possible.  Growing up as a native English speaker, she often had to repeat and then motion or finally, just say it in English.  I don't know if she knew that I took Hawaiian in college and could probably understand much more in recent years than I did when I was younger.

Finally, here's a 12seconds video from the last time I saw Grandma Sophie.  You'll see and hear her being serenaded by her family (but not me - you really don't want to hear me sing).  If you're wondering what song that is, it's My Yellow Ginger Lei.  I hope she enjoyed it as much as we did - it sure looked like she did.

-Capsun

Web:  http://capsun.org - Capsun's Corner
Photo blog:  http://tr.im/capsun
Twitter:  @exbor


Posted via email from capsun's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment